Level: Amateur - Pro.
Features: Comfortable Size - Strong - Upper Rotator 7.5 degree positive stops or free rotation
Uses: General, Landscape, High Resolution, Gigapixels, Commercial, HDR
After researching and developing superior mechanical panoramic hardware for a decade, Fanotec is now pushing the envelope by incorporating robotic components to the design. A range of products developed from the ground up together with the robotic developments will replace some of the legacy products.
Nodal Ninja 6 (NN6) is the successor to Nodal Ninja 4 and Nodal Ninja 5, and is the first model that is compatible with the coming motorized rotator, capable of transforming into a 2-axis fully automatic pan/ tilt head with diverse functions.
It is also the first low cost ALL CNC machined panoramic head in the product line. We carefully examined the Ultimate line and listened to end user feedback to optimize these newer designs. By reducing the number of quick release components, overall cost is much reduced. The NN6's will have quality standards very similar to the Ultimate line incorporating hard anodized coating.
- Compact upper rotator with precise 7.5 degrees detent lock (positive stops) which can be disabled on the fly by simple turning of a lever to allow free rotation and locking at arbitrary angle. A legendary design in NN5, now with double the number of locking positions doubling the maximum focal length.
- Supporting up to 200mm equivalent focal length (camera in portrait orientation) with detent lock (higher focal lengths possible with free rotation).
- New anti-twisting camera mounting plate that mounts to the camera by using an easy to grip, glove friendly knob. No tools needed.
- Arca Swiss compatible rails allow use of QR clamps and other compatible accessories.
- Supports most DSLRs with or without battery grip.
- Come standard with custom made Advanced Rotator D10 (RD10) as default. Compact, lightweight with 10 detent options ranging from 90 to 5 degrees which are easily changed on the fly.
- Compatible with other advanced rotators.
- Optional Quick Release Nadir Adapter that combines the function of quick release and nadir adapter, for rapid mounting / dismounting the vertical assembly and effortlessly taking clean nadir shot (down shot).
- Weight load limit 7.7 lb (3.5kg) with RD10.
Features of the NEW Advanced Rotator D10
Many people have requested a rotator that has the size of advanced Rotator D5 but with more detent options. Advanced Rotator D10 is the answer. It achieves the best balance of size and versatility.
- Compact, lightweight with 10 detent options ranging from 90 to 5 degrees that can be changed on the fly. Suitable for fisheye, wide angle and telephoto lenses up to 200mm equivalent focal length with camera in portrait orientation.
- 10 different degree stop increments (with equivalent number of stops around) include:
- 5 (72 stops)*
- 7.5 (48 stops)*
- 10 (36 stops)
- 15 (24 stops)
- 18 (20 stops)*
- 30 (12 stops)*
- 36 (10 stops)
- 45 (8 stops)*
- 60 (6 stops)
- 90 (4 stops)
*Requires dual detent plungers.
Weight: 2.02lbs (920g)
Lower rail: 200mm
Upper and vertical rail: 190mm
Note: Unfortunately there is no quick reference guide as of yet for the NN6 but very soon. The NN6 is built from the ground up with robotic add-ons in sight. It's a very intuitive design and works without issue for most. This product has been well tested in the field which is bringing in positive reviews by early users. However as with any new product we cannot test against all possible cameras and equipment configurations. As early feedback comes we are making little tweaks here and there to better the performance. If you see any need for improvements we would love to hear from you.
Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G is not compatibility.
Customer YouTube Video - unboxing the NN6 w/Nadir Adapter
I've been using this product for about a month now shooting panos on film sets. No compaints, works well, build quality feels solid and and everything joins up nicely. I feel comfortable throwing expensive cameras/lenses on this. I love that the small hex key is securely magnetized underneath, very handy. I'd definitely recommend this for pano photography, it seems like a great mid range product for the price. The lack of manual wasn't an issue as everything is straightforward and they are adding more resources online. I'd like to see it come with a case in the future but that's just personal preference.
This was a tricky item for me to buy because I was trying to find a solution that would work with both my Nikon and Canon cameras with different lenses. I worked with the Nodal Ninja team and found them to be very prompt and thorough on their recommendations. My one little complaint (one star deduction) is that the NN6 didn't come with a manual. I was able to locate the manual for an earlier version (NN4) which is similar enough to the NN6 from a setup perspective. The NN6 is extremely sturdy and should serve me well, regardless of what camera or lens I have in the near term future.